Heading into the third preseason game, the Texans are treating it like a regular season game week. Their game with the Saints is on Sunday and they’re getting into regular season mode already. They’ll play again on Thursday in Arlington. Their one Thursday day night game comes in week 14 with a trip to Jacksonville. That game is preceded by a pretty big one with the Texans hosting New England on December 1.
Back to today, some notes from Gary Kubiak’s media session –
– Arian Foster looked good, had no issues from practicing yesterday. He went from around 10 reps to roughly 20 reps. Kubiak still wouldn’t rule him out for Sunday, but it seems very likely that he will not play. As expected, he said Ben Tate will start at running back again and be spelled by Deji Karim.
– Rookie WR DeAndre Hopkins is still in phase 1 of the concussion protocol to return to the field. There are 5 phases a player must complete before they get cleared to play. Hopkins is out for Sunday. (If you saw my appearance on CSNHouston on Monday, I said there was no way he was playing on Sunday and shouldn’t play at all the rest of the preseason, no matter how much the reps must help.)
– The quarterback that comes off the bench to replace Matt Schaub first on Sunday will be…decided tomorrow. He said the race for the back up spot is neck and neck.
– He was hopeful that G Wade Smith (knee) would be back on the field with trainers on Monday as they still believe he could be ready for the regular season opener on Monday, September 9 in San Diego.
– Whitney Mercilus has been out since early in training camp with a bad hamstring, but Kubiak called day-to-day and indicated he could see action in the Thursday preseason finale. Also said rookie WR Alan Bonner (hamstring) is doing better, but he will not play this weekend. Neither of these two have seen any preseason action and clearly in the coaches mind are missing very valuable practice time.
– Ed Reed will be in Vail, Colorado to get one last look at his hip from his surgeon before returning to Houston. Still no timetable for his return to the field.
– Wex (@awexler)