Just a couple of polls, notes, stats on the Rockets before they open the season against the Lakers on Tuesday night.
– The last time the Rockets had a regular rotation player make at least 40 percent of their 3-pointers was the 2011-12 season. Both Chase Budinger (88-219, 40.2 percent) and Courtney Lee (87-217, 40.1 percent) topped the mark that season. Trevor Ariza was 19th in the NBA last season, making 40.7 percent of his 3-pointers. Who will lead the Rockets in 3-point shooting percentage this season?
– Last season Chandler Parsons was third on the Rockets in points per game at 16.6, followed by Jeremy Lin at 12.5 ppg and Terrence Jones at 12.1 ppg. Who will be the Rockets third leading scorer this season?
– James Harden’s 151 career games with the Rockets is the most on the team. Only Donatas Motiejunas has also played in at least 100 games in a Rockets uniform, he’s played in 106. Here’s the full list of games played with the Rockets:
James Harden – 151
Donatas Motiejunas – 106
Pat Beverley – 97
Terrence Jones – 95
Francisco Garcia – 73
Trevor Ariza – 72
Dwight Howard – 71
Isaiah Canaan – 22
Joey Dorsey – 7
Troy Daniels – 5
Obviously the four rookies, Tarik Black, Clint Capela, Nick Johnson and Kostas Papanikolaou, will each be making their Rockets debut, as will 17-year NBA veteran Jason Terry. [Jeremy Lin was only with the Rockets for two seasons, but he has appeared in more games for Houston (153) than any player currently on the Rockets roster.]
– Kobe Bryant will be playing in his 56th career game against Houston and has averaged 27.1 points per game against the Rockets, his 6th highest scoring average against any team. However, his 43.9 field goal percentage against Houston is only his 22nd best mark against any team.
Opening Night Trivia (answers at the bottom)
1. Only two active NBA players have scored 45 or more points on opening night. Both did it against the Rockets. Name them.
2. There are seven players currently on an NBA roster that have made six or more 3-pointers in an opening night game. Name the two current Rockets on that list. (Bonus: Name the other five to do it. Hint: Ray Allen is not a correct answer, since he is not currently on an NBA roster.)
3. The most rebounds in an opening night game since 1980 is 26 from the Rockets Dwight Howard last season against Charlotte. Only two other active players have had at least 20 rebounds in an opening night game, name them. (Hint: one of them has done it three times)
1. Monta Ellis scored 46 points for Golden State vs. Rockets on Oct. 27, 2010. Kobe Bryant scored 45 for the Los Angeles Lakers vs. Rockets on 10/30/2007.
2. Jason Terry (Dal): 6, 10/31/07 at Cle & Trevor Ariza (Was) :6, 10/20/13 at Detroit. Others: Danilo Gallinari (Den) – 7; Damian Lillard (Por), Ryan Anderson (Orl), Leandro Barbosa (Phx) and Lebron James (Cle) – 6.
3. Kevin Garnett (3x) and Anderson Varejao