Here we go, one day of regular season hoops to go. With the Clippers win, the Rockets can no longer be the 3 seed, though they still could be 2, 5 or 6 and of course are still in play for the southwest division championship, which for Houston, brings with it the number 2 seed. Here are the remaining seeding scenarios.
Wednesday: Jazz at Rockets, 7:00; Spurs at Pelicans, 7:00; Pacers at Grizzlies, 8:30
Note: The Pacers scenario to clinch the eight seed is a Pacers win or or a Nets loss. The Nets are at home against the Magic and that game starts at 7:00 p.m., 90 minutes before the Pacers game in Memphis. In other words, the Pacers would clinch their playoff berth before their game ends in Memphis, if the Nets lose to the Magic. Considering they played a double-overtime game on Tuesday and Paul George has just returned to the lineup five games ago, a Nets loss would almost certainly give reason for the Pacers to rest players if given the opportunity.
If the Spurs and Rockets take care of their own business in their respective 7:00 clock games, then the Memphis result becomes moot as they would remain the 6 seed in all scenarios that include wins by San Antonio and Houston. But a loss by either Houston or San Antonio or both, then Memphis would move to the 5 seed (and homecourt advantage vs. Portland in the first round) with a win.
With the Clippers victory on Tuesday, they clinch either the two or three seed.
– SA win, Hou win, Mem win: SA 2, LAC 3, HOU 5, MEM 6
– SA win, Hou win, Mem loss: SA 2, LAC 3, HOU 5, MEM 6
– SA win, Hou loss, Mem win: SA 2, LAC 3, MEM 5, HOU 6
– SA win, Hou loss, Mem loss: SA 2, LAC 3, HOU 5, MEM 6
– SA loss, Hou win, Mem win: HOU 2, LAC 3, MEM 5, SA 6
– SA loss, Hou win, Mem loss: HOU 2, LAC 3, SA 5, MEM 6
– SA loss, Hou loss, Mem win: LAC 2, SA 3, MEM 5, HOU 6
– SA loss, Hou loss, Mem loss: LAC 2, SA 3, HOU 5, MEM 6
or if you prefer:
San Antonio will be seeded:
• #2 if Spurs win
• #3 if Spurs lose and Rockets lose
• #5 if Spurs lose, Rockets win and Grizzlies lose
• #6 if Spurs lose and Rockets and Grizzlies win
LA Clippers will be seeded:
• #2 if Spurs and Rockets both lose
• #3 if Spurs win OR if Rockets win and Spurs lose
Houston will be seeded:
• #2 if Rockets win and Spurs lose
• #5 if Rockets and Spurs win OR Rockets lose and Grizzlies lose
• #6 if Rockets lose and Grizzlies win
Memphis will be seeded:
• #5 if Grizzlies win and Spurs or Rockets lose
• #6 if Grizzlies lose OR Spurs and Rockets both win
New Orleans will be seeded:
• #8 if Pelicans win or Thunder loses
Oklahoma City will be seeded:
• #8 if Thunder wins and Pelicans lose